Welcome to my blog. Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I share life, creating and recipes with you.

Friday, March 25, 2022

Joey's Orange Chip Ice cream!

As I mentioned in my post the other day, I had a special request from our 7 year old grandson, Joey, for orange ice cream with chocolate chips.  In the past I have made many yummy ice creams, but orange has never been one of them.  I pondered how best to go about it, did a little Pinterest searching, and using a combo of ideas and my own experience, I made up the following recipe.  We have an electric ice cream maker.  I simply mix up my ingredients in a regular mixing bowl, put the frozen bowl onto the ice cream maker, and turn it on.  I then slowly pour the ice cream mixture into the rotating frozen bowl, and ta-da...about 20 minutes later the ice cream is the consistency of soft serve, and I move it to a tightly sealed bowl and freeze for at least 1/2 a day before serving.

A few notes,  you can use your juice for breakfast, but make sure it isn't from concentrate!  It takes quite a few oranges to squeeze it fresh, but it is worth the effort, and you really do need the fresh orange zest.  Be certain to zest your oranges before you juice them...it's just easier that way.  I chose to not add any artificial coloring, but if you want your ice cream orange, you go ahead and add it.  I personally like the look of the zest peeking out of the creamy white ice cream.

Joey's Orange Chip Ice Cream

1/2 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice 

3 T freshly grated orange zest

1/2 cup of fresh cold half & half

1 cup of fresh cold heavy whipping cream

1 cup of sugar

5 T dry orange jello mix (or more to taste)

a tiny dash of vanilla extract

one bag of mini chocolate chips (dark or milk chocolate)

 

Place all the ingredients (except chocolate chips) into your mixing bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.  Go ahead and stick a spoon in at this point and taste the mixture.  If it isn't orange-y enough for you, add a bit more of the jello mix.  Once it is to your liking, fire up that ice cream maker, and slowly pour the mixture in. 

Now comes the hard part....waiting.  Let the ice cream maker do the work and once it is to a soft ice cream consistency, turn of the machine and transfer the ice cream to a tightly sealed container, lightly stirring in the mini chocolate chips.  The ice cream will be very soft, but it will harden up once it is in the freezer.  Take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it on top of the ice cream to prevent ice crystals.  Place in freezer for at least 5-6 hours, then scoop out a big portion and enjoy!

I was so pleasantly surprised at how this turned out.  It seems like it would be perfectly delightful and refreshing on a warm Summer day.

Let me know if you give it a whirl!  Enjoy my friends!


I've added a link here to the pretty red ice cream maker I have.

 https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE21R-Ice-Cream-Maker/dp/B0041A3KPC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FXDB53NV1VPC&keywords=cuisinart+ice+cream+maker+red&qid=1648136578&sprefix=cuisinart+ice+cream+maker+red%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-3


1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful...I have always loved orange sherbet...or anything really with orange LOL. And orange with chocolate even better. We used to have a chocolatier in town who made wonderful chocolate covered orange jellied candy sticks. YUM! And you read my mind...I was going to ask what kind of ice cream maker you have. The link is not working for me but I can likely just do an Amazon search. Thanks! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog - your message will be reviewed and posted soon! God bless

Blog Archive



In memory of the over 57,000,000 children killed since 1973