Welcome to my blog. Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I share life, creating and recipes with you.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Yummy recipe to share

First off, I want to thank each of you who took the time to offer words of sorrow and love on the passing of our sweet orange kitty, Indy.  It means a lot to me that so many of you took the time to comment.  Bless you.

Now...for the recipe...but first a little history of it....
When I was just out of college, I landed a job right away as a legal secretary to one of our county's Assistant District Attorneys.  His office was in a lovely old Victorian home across from the courthouse.  In the office across the front hall, worked another attorney (ironically a defense attorney)...and he had a secretary just a little bit older than I.   Well, we hit it off right away and became great friends.  She was already married (I hadn't met Mr. Whimzie yet), and was a lovely gal, inside and out, with a deep faith in God.  I learned so much from her and I really treasured her friendship.  As time went on, I met Chris, and we planned to be married in August of 1983.  My dear friend had been having pains in her arms, especially noticeable when she was scraping snow from the windshield and other similar activities.  She decided to have a check-up.....and was devastated to learn she had leukemia.  She and her husband were trying to have children at the time too...and so many hopes and dreams were put on hold while she underwent chemo, radiation and eventually a bone marrow transplant. 
She was my maid of honor at our wedding...she wore a wig because she had lost all of her hair, but I was so grateful she was there.  As time worn on, she went into remission.  They adopted two wonderful little girls, and all seemed well.  They always say that after 5 years, people with cancer can breath a sigh of relief...and she did...for a little while...but the disease eventually reared it ugly head again, and more chemo, radiation and another transplant were needed.  She was doing well, then, went downhill so fast, I never had a chance to say goodbye.  She left behind two little girls and a husband.

My dear friend, Bev, gave me this recipe for Zucchini Bread.  Not a Fall goes by that I don't make it...and think of her...and miss her.  
I hope that, in her honor, you will make the recipe as well.  Enjoy and hold your loved ones and friends dear to your heart.  Life is so short sometimes.  

Bev's Zucchini Bread
Makes two loaves

2   2/3    c. sugar
2/3 c. shortening
2/3 c. water
4 eggs
3 c grated zucchini, seeds removed before grating

3  1/3 c flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground cloves

2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. chopped walnuts

Cream sugar and shortening.  Add eggs and beat just until blended.  Add the water and grated zucchini and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, sift all of the dry ingredients together, and then add gradually to the wet mixture, just until blended.  Stir in walnuts.
Divide batter between two well-greased loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes.  Use a toothpick to test for doneness in the center of each loaf.  It should come out clean.  Set on wire rack and cool for 8-10 minutes.  Run a knife around the edges of the pan and remove bread from pan.  Continue cooling on the racks.  Store in baggie or air-tight container.....refrigerate if not eaten within a day.
I made four loaves yesterday....so yummy.  I even added some ground flax and chia seed this time.

Enjoy and God bless

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this friendship story and along with the treasured recipe.
    SO touching.
    Love Hugs & JOY
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds yummy! so sorry about your friend and your kitty. denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancer stinks! Please don't ever let it eat you up about not being able to say good bye, she knows you loved her. Thank you for sharing the recipe, I will say a prayer for you and thank Bev if I get a chance to make it :)

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog - your message will be reviewed and posted soon! God bless

Blog Archive



In memory of the over 57,000,000 children killed since 1973