Welcome to my blog. Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I share life, creating and recipes with you.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Help with Hydrangea please

Hello good friends...I hopped on today to get some advice. I've been working in the gardens all week, and will share some pictures later today I hope.   With our new home, I have inherited a beautiful hydrangea bush...but I don't have a clue as to how to care for it.  Right now it is just a mass of brown stems with a few dead flower heads .....do I prune them back or do I leave it alone and prune after it blooms?  I do see tiny bits of green on the buds along the stems.   It bloomed pink last summer, but if I put pine needles around it and add some acid based supplement, will it turn blue?  Thanks so much for your help!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    I use to cut mine back in late fall, but since yours are showing signs of green, I'd just trim the old blooms off. As for the pine needles and acid~ I know it will change the color, but don't know if it will be blue or deep purple. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Good luck!
    Happy Spring,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, adding acid to the soil will make the PH level higher which will turn them blue, They should only be pruned after the blossoms die. However since you have dead blooms on them get rid of them to allow new growth at least this is how we do it at the landscaper I work for in Northern Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I planted mine last season. It is like you described yours. As each day has passed it has gotten more green on the stems & the green has gotten larger. I will have to come back to read the tips you receive. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my flowers, but I'm a terrible gardener!!! I have 2 and I just leave mine go. Will have to prune mine this fall, if I remember. I too, have dead flowers on mine and new shoots coming out!!!!
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. They love acidic soils which also aid in their colors. Don't clip them back until the fall. Pull off any dead heads and clip the brown branches that have no leaves. They'll thank you next Spring for taking such good care of them!
    }}Hugs{{
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pretty much just take off the dead stuff of mine. I use a special fertilizer on mine that I purchased to give it it's color. I have one pink and one blue/purple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog - your message will be reviewed and posted soon! God bless

Blog Archive



In memory of the over 57,000,000 children killed since 1973